Preparation for the new ‘Awakening of the Dark’ galaxy and v116 patch release will start today at 17:30 UTC.
The servers will go offline at this time and are expected to be back online within two hours - hopefully around 19:00 UTC.
We’ll update this thread as soon as the patch is ready and the servers are back online. Once they’re back online, the galaxy ‘Awaken the Dark’ will be ready to join from the game lobby.
Update: this patch has now been released and the game servers are back online. The galaxy ‘Awaken the Dark’ is ready to join from the game lobby.
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- The new faster ‘Awakening of the Dark’ galaxy:
- Hyperspeed: 10x faster travel, growth and construction (see wiki)
- New galaxy generation and player spawning: the ‘Awakening of the Dark’ galaxy is dynamically generated unlike previous galaxies which were generated before any players joined. A cluster of new stars is added for each new player that spawns in with the player’s home system in the middle of this cluster. See wiki for details. Note: no new cluster is generated if a spawn code is used.
- Newbie protection: lasts for 5 days and includes the newbie protected zone with three NPC guard fleets, home planet protection has been extended to include protection from bombing. Note: these changes don’t affect previous galaxies e.g. Skirmish 2, Main 2 (in these galaxies newbie protection is 28 days home planet protection from invasions only).
- Technology research reworked: in the ‘Awakening of the Dark’ galaxy a reworked version of technology research was added that will likely be used for all future galaxies. V2 is more player friendly, science points accumulate constantly and any technology can be researched in minutes if you have enough science points for it. V1 will continue to be used in Skirmish 2, Main 2 etc. galaxies.
- For more details on the differences between the new ‘Awakening of the Dark’ galaxies and previously launched galaxies please see this wiki page
- Alliances have been added to all galaxies and are ready for you to use now! Alliance membership is managed via the diplomacy window. See the wiki for full details.
- Important notifications for events that happened while a player was offline weren’t received when the player came online e.g. for battles and invasions. This bug has caused a lot of frustration for players so we’re pleased to have finally been able to pin down the cause and get it fixed.
- The notification for detecting a populated planet was popping up multiple times
- Battles were sometimes crashing when trying to watch a replay
- Exploration history wasn’t correctly remembering surface deposit levels for a planet after leaving orbit
- Invasion result panel was displaying the wrong troop strength (it was a display issue only - the result was correctly calculated). As well as fixing this issue, the formatting of the message has been improved to make it clearer to see the total strength of both sides and the breakdown
- The promo popup was causing the game to crash for some players
Please note: there are a lot of new features in this patch! But unfortunately we weren’t able to finish in time all of the changes we wanted to make. We’re aware that improving the situation with minefields is a priority for many of you. And we’re doing what we can to get the changes we posted earlier this week finished and pushed out to you quickly.
Updating the game client: the game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.