I suggest implementing “Ancient Tech Hubs” in perhaps 2% of all systems and spread evenly throughout the galaxy. These hubs will be visible to all who pass by on the starmap (outer sensor range). Hubs are like planets but you cannot build anything besides barracks and a super long range 100LY scanner on them, troops landed on hubs will defend hubs and it will be possible for attackers to land multiple assault fleets of troops to attack the hub. Enemy ships in hub orbit must be destroyed before troops can be landed. All structures razed when a hub is captured.
Hubs will give unique benefits that either benefit a single player or his alliance (can choose).
- Fleet Count Benefit. +5 fleets (player only) or +0.5 fleets (per alliance).
- Planet Count Benefit. +5 planets (player only) or +0.5 planets (per alliance).
- Special Weapons Benefit. +5 large sized unique weapons/armor produced per day that can be traded by the player.
- Inter-system missile. Every week, fire 1 warp 20 speed mega missile at any planet or fleet. Missile damages all ships by 50% and kills 50% of all onboard troops. When fired at a planet, destroys 10 random structures, kills 100,000 troops, or destroys 50% of all ODS (minimum 1). Player can choose.
- Inter-system laser. Every week, laser defense recharges. Laser can shoot down an inter-system missile targeting the player or members of the alliance. It can also be used to fry all troops in a single fleet. Toggle to defend planets only or both planets and ships.
All hubs can be upgraded to increase benefits. When it is captured, this upgrade resets. Make ~10 levels of hubs with each upgrade taking 1 week? Attacking hubs also takes longer ~1 week when there are large numbers of troops on each side.