Poll: To trade or not to trade

This is a poll based exclusively on trading ships and planets. Each question should be read as its own situation and without any regard to any other questions as many mechanics can be added with and without others. Many questions are similar, but do not repeat.

To what degree should the limitations be placed on trading ships and planets? Rate 5 for no limitation. Rate 4 for soft restrictions. Rate 3 for moderate restrictions, rate 2 for harsh restrictions. Rate 1 for the removal of the function.

0 voters

How do you feel about trading ships to different races? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Are you ok with a global cost to a transferred ship or planet? A global cost can be anything (but not excluded to) from costing additional credits incrementally (referring to the old system where fleets had an associated cost instead of the current fleet count), counting traded ships as if it was its own fleet, having a separate ship traded counter, or applying a negative to research. Please remember, you are not responding to any individual idea. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Are you ok with a local cost to a transferred ship or planet? A local cost is anything that affects that ship only and can be a random debuff such as 10% weaker shields, always costs fuel to move, consumes more fuel when at max warp, costs (or costs more if we go back to the old system) credits, or consumes more Lymbalt when firing. Please remember you are not responding to any individual idea. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire a mechanic that changes its cost (global or local) based on the race it came from or is going to? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you want each race to be unique other than simple strengths and weaknesses? For example, having a poor ability to utilize invisibility or being able to more easily detect invisible ships. These unique characteristics would not be changed by transferring ships/planets. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire intrinsic racial bonuses in addition to the current stat differences for ships. 10% bonus to lasers for example. These bonuses do not carry over to new owners. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire stacking racial differences for ships? For example, if PR had stronger ballistic weapons, do you want them to also have a bonus to weapons that use munitions. These racial bonuses do not carry over to new owners. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Should refitting of traded ships be permitted? Beware, this could be highly exploitable and could take a long time to find balance. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you feel that traded ships should be limited by tier? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire a greater difference between the different races at a particular tier? For example, if you desire vastly different t3 ships (between the races, not within each race) then you would say this was highly desirable. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire research limitations on traded ships and planets? For example all players would be banned from receiving ships that they do not have similar/an equivalent technology researched. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire a cool down period for gifting either ships or planets? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire a limitation on who a player can gift fleets/ships to? For example, only within an alliance or a certain proximity. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire the ability to capture another player’s ships? Rules and restrictions can be applied but will not be asked about. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire simple easily understood mechanics? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire well thought out complicated mechanics? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Would you like highly complicated mechanics if they were well explained and slowly introduced? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Do you desire all mechanics to be well explained, no matter how simple or complicated?. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Would you prefer some races being able to trade with some but not others. For example, PR can trade with mankind and Ripchee but mankind and Ripchee cannot trade with each other. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Are you in favor of matching the flagship levels to match the recipient’s counterpart (t3 battleships would all have the same flagship for each player based on race). Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Would you like a market system? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Would you like a market system to replace the current gifting system? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Would you like a trade log that is visible to players? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Would you like gifting limitations between players? For example, player A can only give player B 10 ships per year or for the duration of the galaxy. Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

If special abilities are added by race, should the ability be transferred with the ship? Rate 1 for hate it and 5 for highly desirable.

0 voters

Please respond with a short summery of the basic mechanics you would like to see in the final product of this mechanic.

1 Like

I want a free and open system where i can acquire any ship i want, but i want it balanced out even if that means harsh penalties would be applied. I care little for the details of how it should actually work.

0 Likes

No trading between races period.

1 Like

Potential problem of boosting one player by a group can be plugged with only one mechanic. Player with lower scores in Emperor LB must not be able to transfer planets/ships to player with higher scores. Thats all what need to be done. And thats easy to do. Transfer must be only possible from stronger to weaker.

Talking about info. Wiki is good enough. Of course something like civilopedia in Civilization series is a great and desirable thing anyways.

“ability to capture another player’s ships”. I think devs even can make new race wich will have these ability in future. Just give such an ability to any race would ruin the atmosfer and balance (alliances of players will abuse it for shure in that case). But if we talking about new race of space pirates with a lots of penalties in production then it’s only natural for them be like this.

3 Likes

I am in agreement with Atredies, no trading between civs, trading within the same civ I don’t mind.

I like the idea of a specific civ being able to steal, but not all civs. One existing civ can have this or a new one doesn’t matter. If I recall on the original design concept there was one civ that would have this special attribute.

Current mechanics of trading (or giving) is cumbersome at best.

2 Likes

I agree with them both :slight_smile:

If you must introduce it make sure it is ONE TIME ONLY thing and as @Pepelekus said above only stronger to weaker so we dont run the risk of “Noobie farming”
[Give me a ship or I smash you all!]
Or other evils.

Taking one as a war prize I could go for provided we reintroduce fleet upkeep instead of Fleet caps. Prize ships should have double or triple upkeep at least and possibly cannot be repaired to boot. But while they last they do anything they could do for the original owners.

0 Likes

I don’t like the idea of trading between races, makes their unique differences have no meaning.

I think stealing ships would be a great addition, but no stealing allowed within alliances (or player holding a treaty with the victim) or within a certain time after an alliance member leaves an alliance (or cancels treaty) to prevent abuse, possibly 7 days or so. No repairing of ships that were stolen should be allowed, if they get damaged, they stay that way until they are eventually killed. I’m ok with anyone being able to steal from anyone under these conditions. I’m not opposed to stealing being limited to a specific race, if this is the choice, then they should be allowed to repair the ships, but same conditions of not belonging to the same alliance or having a treaty with the victim should apply.

2 Likes

Regarding stealing of ships, this was from their original design concept for the civs. A civ not introduced yet was to have ship stealing capability. (update: stealing from? now I question if it is stealing ships lol)

Murribundi - * Can steal from ships without combat
Relies on stealing and capturing

Cygori (name tbd) - * Can capture ships and create cybernetic organisms from any occupants

0 Likes

Ferengi & Borg basically :smiley:

I cannot believe they will still attempt 12 races… ! Better to start with say half that and work your way up. Balancing 4 is proving a challenge 12 will either be cosmetic (instant game fail) or hideously fraught with peril

0 Likes

I don’t disagree, though they did say in their last roadmap to beta I think it was, or one of the blogs that they would introduce a 5th (somewhat soon). I think it was to be the Nuego Sor (avian civ), but not 100% certain.

A somewhat different topic, but it relates as well to this, is the fact that no alliance features currently exist. As a result each player is basically independent, even though we are playing as if we had alliances in place. I’m sure as alliance mechanics are implemented a “team” can more adequately work together as such, the alliances will be better able to utilize the strengths of their different member’s civ’s to balance out the game better. Independently it is unbalanced as it is now.

1 Like

I would prefer to see a resource trade system instead of a wholesale planet or ship trade. Those should be captured, not traded

0 Likes

I would like to see a market mechanic for trading resources. A tech and structure that can be built that will allow a single buy and sell per 24 hr period. The level of the structure would determine the amount of resource able to be bought/sold. So T1 is 25K, T2 is 50K and T3 is 100K (or variants of this) A value per resource could be assigned depending on the values being traded by the market ie Lots of people selling Limbalt… very low price. Lots of people buying Farsu…very high price.

1 Like

So invincible resource trades between alt and main accounts? Not seeing where outright resource trading is good for the game tbh. Any player resource trading needs some danger and a long trip on a cargo ship. Though even wormholes will make that potentially safe unless a Ripchee interdicts you…

3 Likes