I would probably just make multiple paths to unlock Veteran. It’s silly to put so much weight on assets when assets probably just mean you aren’t fighting anyone. At best, that should be ONE way to get there but not the only way.
In theory, someone could have a bang up game from day 1, lose lots of stuff, kill lots of stuff, be the best player in the game and never make it to Veteran because fighting is not how you get to Veteran status.
If anything it should probably be a series of unlocks. It’s exploitable but at least shows competence in core areas:
- Must win an invasion against a planet that has at least 50,000 troops and a T2 ODS
- Must lose a planetary invasion that you started
- Must lose a planetary invasion where you are the target
- Must win a planetary invasion where you are the target
- Must reinforce a planet during an invasion
- Must lay a certain amount of minefields
- Must sweep a certain amount of mines
- Must win a cloaking engagement with no losses
- Must win a close flight with a large fleet (size 10+, must survive with no more than 25% health)
- Must lose a fight worth some minimum value
Kinda stuff you see as “Steam achievements” in other games could be veteran unlocks here (and Steam achievements).
Might be you need to check off literally everything in order to unlock veteran but maybe just make a large list and you can knock out any 90% of them to qualify.
Clans will sit around and exploit them to unlock everything but at least it would force them to understand the mechanics. As it stands today, you can make Veteran without firing a shot, which just seems embarrassing.