Dev Diary #27 - Player profiles sneak peek

Hi everyone, latest dev diary is up. It’s a preview of the player profiles designs. And there’s a new patch coming at the start of next week!

4 Likes

Good work, but not I fancy what the player base was hoping for. Certainly nothing here to tempt me back into playing.

1 Like

As far as player profiles go its a nice looking design.

One can hope that image isnt a troll :smiley: and we will be able to colonise and keep significantly more planets than a mere 36… or so… 88 would be a welcome boost… and the ability to have at least 5 or 6 fleets per planet…

I think its just toooo low currently… and I would favour rebooting A3 into A4 with these changes in place… A3 is over for me as it give no freedom.

I sadly note that you say neither alliances or profile pieces have had significant work so far… Would you have any indication of when we can plan for Beta (feels like a year away at least) or even release… (2 years at a guess)

^this

its all bright and shiny. i do like it, but i dont think now was the time to do it.

1 Like

Sadly I suspect this will be like the dumb scoreboard in the last Galaxy where you got points every time you colonised, and again if you left the colony die and re colonised the same planet…

Given whats been dubbed the “Locust Technique” discussed of late; 88 is perfectly do able, with the players empire stuck at <36 and 50 odd burned out worlds in a neat little ring around them.

But assuming its not another huge mistake maybe it is light at the end of a very dark tunnel of over simplifying and restriction? We shall see…

EDIT: My Bad the achievement is clearly designed to represent all the planets you have EVER colonised over however many Games you have participated in. As such its a meaningless statistic. Why? Because in a fast fight Galaxy its tough to get & keep more worlds, In a Big slow and under populated Galaxy is far easier, so this badge simply will reflect play style not any kind of achievement. And if a achievement it tied to it it will serve to put a notch of pressure on folks to play a game other than their preferred style just to get the award. Which is irritating.

1 Like

I would have much preferred work on implementing some sort of alliance features which would be way more useful than resources spent on making shiny new badges. Hopefully at some point we focus on the more important features over this spoofing up chores.

Going to assume they need to have player profiles done to implement improved chat and that would be tied into alliance communications. Need all the little parts done to complete the bigger goal of tying everything together. Just a few devs doing allot of work will take awhile.

2 Likes

checks notes, reads diary

No friend/foe code?

Nope.

Next?

3 Likes

I’m assuming that will be part of the alliance features.

1 Like

Colossal FAIL if it isn’t :smiley:

Would be kind of hard for alliances to work well without it lol.

One of the most important elements of a player profile is how many alliances they have been part of and start and end dates and left or kicked statuses.

Totally agree old chap. If I was running an alliance I’d like to see if a prospective member had been kicked or had a rep for dropping and moving on before offering them a slot.

I do think this would need to be by Galaxy if used though. Because differnt Galaxies might call for different play styles. In the recent “Skirmish” short term Galaxy I deliberately ramped up my usual aggression level, but would not want that to be on the general permanent record etc as it was specific to that event.

Of course that sort of detail in turn adds to great database loading, and right now I doubt the DEVS can be bothered with stuff like that as they have much bigger issues to deal with sadly :frowning:

I ran an alliance in Lord of Ultima and we had to keep Google docs spreadsheets full of players and their alliance statuses to track this ourselves.

They should contract me to help with this stuff. I am a developer, server architect, and engineer, so I am certain that I could help them make magic happen.

That makes you equal with about a third of the vocal members of the Alpha base from what I have seen in the last year or so. Belive me friend the offers of help have gone pouring in… I have yet to hear of any being taken up.

The DEVS here have a very definite idea of what they want to do it seems. Last time we were told they hired anybody the extras were there for less than two months before something caused a parting of ways.

On alliance management I agree completely the bigger better and more organised ones keep extensive records. You have to when dealing with a buncha people. Ask any of the informal alliance leaders here! They’ll tell you :slight_smile:

If we knew the scope of the official in game alliance set up we’d know what to expect. By this i mean firstly: are there any limits on alliance size? There are arguments for both yes and no to my mind.

When we know the in game tools we’ll know what else we’d need to do privatly to make for a well organised alliance thats all I am saying really.

I just wanted to know what details the scoreboard functions would retain, as the way they appear in these press releases doesn’t strike me as efficient or even meaningful as yet.

They should have all of us help then! I’d even work for free (well, I would be working for profit shares).

Last time we were told they hired anybody the extras were there for less than two months before something caused a parting of ways.

That is too bad. I agree 95% of their ideas are sound, which is why I am here at all. But there are pieces they have not considered that would add to their game dramatically.

I just wanted to know what details the scoreboard functions would retain, as the way they appear in these press releases doesn’t strike me as efficient or even meaningful as yet.

Scoreboards are very tricky things. In Lord of Ultima, we would use the score boards to track wars that we had no visibility into. We could predict how a war between rivals was going just based on tracking the scores of all of their members and position ourselves to clean up the pieces. So, they should take scoreboards slowly!

When we know the in game tools we’ll know what else we’d need to do privatly to make for a well organised alliance thats all I am saying really.

I actually do not know Unity, but I know Java, TypeScript, Rust, C++, C, Bash, Python, SQL, a variety of datastores/caches, kubernetes, a variety of server platforms, and a bunch of other tech that is not immediately relevant to the devs here. I am a backend engineer at my workplace, which is why I could not dedicate full time to this work, but I would be more than happy to throw ideas in the hat and help implement them.

But what I really think they could use help on is the economic models. Their economics are very simple right now, which is a fine thing, but it leads to needlessly shallow gameplay. You could use fiat currencies and floating point exchange rates and player-managed sovereign debt and a huge variety of other real-world economics to make the game economy more representative of how economics actually works. This also adds the benefit of opening up several non-combat play styles (even in a completely savage and non-restricted pvp game) and allowing economic warfare to be a reality.

1 Like

@Zathabar is correct there have been a lot of offers to help out. I think its very difficult to help out with code. My background has helped me workout likely causes to bugs. So I’m a senior dev using C#/nodejs/typescript mostly with various db and message buses for various tasks. and I dabble with thing like go and ethereum smart contracts when given the chance. So I could help but I think we should just test and evaluate what we see and offer our thoughts on how to handle things better.

With only 2 full time devs bringing more talent into the mix might hinder their productivity. Getting to beta is first and foremost the main objective, with a full feature set in place. Then see… each iteration leads to change and progress… we should be patient and let it flow for a while…

To closely model real world systems would bring greater depth to the game, it just about time and how to distill down complex things into UX that a 12 year old could use… most real world systems you need a PhD just to get started…

1 Like

With only 2 full time devs bringing more talent into the mix might hinder their productivity.

Ah yea, for some reason it seemed like they had more than that. I do not disagree about harming the productivity, especially if they have a good groove going.

To understand the math, sure; but the real world systems can be intuited far easier than you might imagine. Considering we all work with it on a regular basis. :wink: