With A2 > A3
In A2 we had no limits on fleets, or planets, and we could have 2-6 million people PER planet, with around 500k to 1 million people enough for what most people wanted.
In A3 we have limits on planets for max populations AND growth factors, we have limits on fleets, we have limits on planets.
Instead of a gradual thing, we just got limited on every aspect.
We need rolling caps, where we are capped, then take effort to get passed it, but it can be done, and opens up more room. This way people can gauge their own effort. We can not, and should not, base this game on casual players ability to take things. I mean this in the context of a time sync, if you can only play 1-2 hours a day on average (maybe 3-4 on the weekends) then you should take awhile to start hitting your first caps. For those that are dedicated, they should be able to overcome caps at their own pace. However we also need the ability in place to curtail people that play 24/7 and could possible wipe out swaths of people eventually (snowballing).
It will come down to some kind of balance.
Perhaps the answer is going to be starbases.
Allowing you to claim systems, borders, and defend areas with short range fleets (like Sins of a Solar Empire, Star Wars Empire at War, and other games that allow for fleets to be stationed per system/per starbase).
Here is a short list of what we need >
- Science must be curtailed to provide a better overall pace and experience.
- Science gates must be properly implemented. The shipyard techs all need to be heavily increased by multiple factors to help facilitate this.
- Instead of caps, we need some sort of rolling caps.
- We need flexibility with fleets, perhaps a primary cap (fleets), secondary cap (individual ships), and stationed fleets that are attached to certain locations/buildings.
- We need a reason to capture systems from other people without needing more and more colonies.
- We need more reasons to attack others, positive reasons, not re balanced or retconned reasons that shift how we get certain resources, but fun reasons or strategic reasons.
- We need more fluff and lore in the game to explain that 1 colonists actually equals about 1000 people, and that 1 hour equals 6 months of in game time. We also need more information for planets like the intimidate max population. We need more information and fluff/lore in general for immersion and decision making.
- We need alliance features
- We need alliance goals
- We need the ability to enter a galaxy and play within 100-500 LY of our friends. We really need the galaxy split up into 500 by 500 LY sector squares, with better maps, and borders.