Automatic planet management

I’d like to talk about automatic planet management. It did not work even though the activation button was pressed. Do we need another condition for activation? If not, can you tell me why?

Time and resources.

I have plenty of resources and time.

By time I refer to it only does checks about once every 6 hours 3-4 times a day. How long has it been set to auto build?

It works. Too well, on newer planets. Not at all on well-established ones. Look around, there are threads on the topic.

This is what it does if left on. Think I built a few beron mines and left it alone.

1 Like

I am a Syntis player and I colonized two new planets, Added the requisite climate stations, dumped 100k beron on them and hit the tick mark and it did nothing for two weeks. Both planets were still exactly how I left em till the other night.

I suspect it is bugged for some of us for some reason I don’t understand

Strange. There shouldn’t be any differences between civilizations. We will check this issue

1 Like

Automation (and advanced automation) is the kind of thing you should have to pay for. Especially if it involves neural networks. :smiley:

Then I think the existing Alpha player base would universally condemn it as a flagrant breach of the stated goal of “No Pay to Win”

Once Automation’s bugs are smoothed out it will be a useful thing to have - especially if you have large holdings. But as it is right now it can be a menace…

Right now with the silly caps on planets you can have I really cannot see the point in the automation we have. I have to hope this is a phase they are going through as right now it seems they dream up a feature then reshape the games parameters so its not really useful…

As soon as I get a single clue which way the game designers are trying to go I’ll be happy to start playing again in earnest. Right now its a confused morass.

Then I think the existing Alpha player base would universally condemn it as a flagrant breach of the stated goal of “No Pay to Win”

Not if it is done carefully. The idea is that it is PURELY a trade of real life time spent for real money put in. The idea is to make the players present up to the level one would expect from a player who has lots of time and no money to spend. That way you get the bulk population from F2P and the money from the people who don’t have as much time but still want to compete.

Define “Carefully”.

I agree in your scenario yes all would be well. However, explain to me how a player with lots of free time AND free cash would not be able to use the effort freed up by some paid for Automation to accelerate their progress in other areas…

If a player hit on there ideal planetary building set up and could do it once then automate it, for example. Said player could devote more time to being aggressive against their neighbours perhaps? Players without said paid advantage would have to split their time between defensive fleet action and shoring up defences making offence somewhat harder.

How is that not Pay & Win?

explain to me how a player with lots of free time AND free cash would not be able to use the effort freed up by some paid for Automation to accelerate their progress in other areas…

You are hit the nail on the head though. This would be the most difficult part. The key, I think (and I have thought a lot about this but not actually built the AI system yet) is that you need to ensure that each player’s AI does not have any more information than the player themselves has and that the actions available to them are not more than the player can do for themselves. All it would be doing is being present when the player cannot.

Sigh yup…
I have actually come around to some Automation in my time here. Originally I was a proponent of “No limits let the fatigue of managing a huge empire be its natural cap”

But sadly I have found even with small collections of planets some things are just so damn tedious I can live with some minor Automated functions.

I wasn’t trying to be obstructive to your idea, I just cant myself see how it can be balanced without activating the P2W bug bear. But if you see a way as you get more into the game - I’d really like to hear it :smiley:

Yea, that is the fine balance. I think it could work, but I agree with your concerns also.
Obviously there has to be a basic level of automation, but the type that allows you to compete and still not be ever-present is the part that can be monetized and thus hopefully avoid the subscription model. The chief problem, of course, is how to have a scaled AI that has increasing costs and capabilities without overstepping the P2W boundaries.

I still think it is possible, just… tricky.