Abusing the friend code

This took all of a few minutes to do. Explain how this should be a thing. Very much a huge exploit. And there is no cool down just repeat the process at every planet you own at the cost of one colony ship to trade it back with.

12 Likes

#Gamebroken

Good job its still early access then. But jeez…!

3 Likes

Glad someone tested this to see if there were any hidden protections in place. Thanks, Warmonger!

So yeah, this just went from “I’m somewhat concerned but not up in arms, let’s wait and see” to “Yeah, I’m kinda up in arms here with concern.” This should be hotfixed. As a temporary solution, I’d just make it so that you can’t repeatedly reset and accept new invites. Sure, someone could buy 10 copies of the game to bypass that, but it’s an acceptable stop-gap for now, as I do not want to limit the ability of someone to invite multiple friends.

That or if it’s quick to do, just disable the code that changes the planet for now and allow the planet to change hands as-is, and revisit how this works later. But that would require a community announcement of the mechanic radically changing right after it was implemented, which is a bit meh in terms of optics. Then again, it’s alpha, so people should expect as much. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Servers just crashed, apparently, but this is one of many problems with the latest patch.

Never patch on a Friday night. Ever.

4 Likes

Not only did the new update fuck the server and make fleets invisible, it also completely broke balance.

4 Likes

Even better is with gifting ships you get starter colony ships as well at zero cost and time to build. So a built up system can be done real fast once started.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s still my vote. I think it makes the most sense. After all, this is a code from a friend. They are supposed to set you up with a decent planet. I would even go so far as to transfer any natives and any buildings too. It should be exactly like dropping the defenses and landing a colony ship.

No T3 ODS either. Again, just too abusable.

enemy is about to drop troops on your planet
give the code out to your secondary account
homeworld it
all natives dead
all those good structures dead
T3 ODS
trolololol

9 Likes

Go you one better!

Send a coloniser to a massive mega Hot or cold world get a code before they die and hey presto!

You just invaded an enemy Home system!

WITH A PLANET

9 Likes

Mmmmmmm, and there is a steam sale on.
Perfect time to get an alt

4 Likes

This new feature is a godsend to people wanting to exploit their way through the game. The intention behind is is sound but the implementation is a bit naive.

7 Likes

At this point, between dual-pops and “play with friends”, it will become necessary for everyone to “exploit” the system in order to play the game. The idea of giving someone a planet seemed promising, but if it reverts to home-world status in the process, as WarMongers has shown, why wouldn’t everyone just buy an alt account, and go to town? That seems to be the way the game is intended to be played, at this point.

3 Likes

This is from the thread where they mention the friend code stuff, I LITERALLY said this was a situation need fixing.

6 Likes

Yup, They literally did what I feared and hypothesized about in that thread. But worse as there is zero cool down. lol

2 Likes

It makes me wonder how far along into development of new features they are when they drop the ideas on the forums looking for feedback. Because as you’ve shown, a major exploit for this system was warned about and discussed before it was even added, and yet, they went ahead with it anyway.

When alliance features are added to the game, someone will have to create the U.A.S.S. (Unaligned Alts Shaping Systems) for everyone to park 2nd accounts in to join in on all of the fun.

4 Likes

You know, the more I think about it, the more this system is potentially broken even if you just legit have a ton of friends playing with you. Just have your 10 friends all invited to play right within your system and in your neighboring system. Have a fortress pair of systems that are insanely good. Even if the exploit part is fixed, and it’s separate people coordinating, isn’t the potential density of extremely good, aligned worlds still an issue? Coordinate halfway decently and that set of friends could be unstoppable, especially defensively.

Starting to agree and think it should just be worlds transferred as-is now as the final solution, even.

4 Likes

This whole idea is half-baked and fubar. I will probably quit over this with 1000+ hours invested. What is the point of combat if your opponent can just populate 50+homeworlds in an afternoon?

6 Likes

The idea of watching his jaw drop having to invade 7 homeworlds just to get a single system? :rofl:

1 Like

But the prospect of having to try to TAKE 7 homeworlds in a single system is not one I would be looking forward to. Anyway, I guess we all need to buy alts now, and double the “universe player count”, so we can all load up on “free” homeworlds.

1 Like

I think they will fix this ASAP too many people from too many alliances and backgrounds here saying the exact samething

2 Likes

Everyone @joe here

4 Likes